Well, thanks everyone! Your cheers are well received.
Although the first issue of this bilingual free monthly of Hualien has only 8 pages, I think a little peep into it wouldn't have any harm...
So here you go, the map that I drew. My version of Hualien!
i r i s posted at 7/30/2005 |
Ok, ok, I know you can't because of the distance and all sorts of other reasons, but...
Hey! Our first issue of "Highway 11 East Coast Monthly Magazine" is finally out! Yup! All the efforts we put into this magazine has finally paid off, although we (me, ryan and jeff) did not even make a profit from it this month at all.
But hey!! It's OUT! :)
Maybe...we need a little clapping? :P
i r i s posted at 7/29/2005 |
Another typhoon, hitting....Japan. Ja-yo Japan!
i r i s posted at 7/26/2005 |
I have always been lazy and lame about typing Chinese characters with computer. I guess it's just something i will never catch up and be good at in my life...Perhaps that's one of the important reasons why i keep my blog in English. Anyone who has tried to type any Chinese would understand that it's not as easy as typing romanized word, beacuse of the Chinese tones and its complicated strokes....Anyways, I have been translating English articles into Chinese for our coming first issue of magazine in Hualien (Highway 11). And all this typing in Chinese has driven me nuts....so today i decided to get even lazier...I started looking for all sorts of cheating ways through Google.
Guess what i've found? :P
Ha ha ha....Yup! I'm that lazyyy, even internet proved that!
i r i s posted at 7/17/2005 |
.. Be aware!!!!! A big typhoon is coming. Be prepared!!! Go to the nearest 7-11 and buy all sorts of junk food and some duct tape, now, oh and don't forget about beer..s! :P
Analysis 1800UTC 16 July 2005 Center Location 20.9N 126.4E Movement WNW 17km/hr Minimum Pressure 912hPa Maximum Wind Speed 55m/s Gust 68m/s Radius of 15m/s 280km Radius of 25m/s 120km
i r i s posted at 7/17/2005 |
Beautiful kids in Dalat, Vietnam. June 2005.
i r i s posted at 7/13/2005 |
1. WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND NOW? [Shallow thoughts welcome.] Damn these frozen grapes taste good!
2. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? The background music/noise from the movie "Stand by Me".
3. THE WORLD NEEDS... More security!!!
4. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? Dinner with some fried pork ribs, rice, seaweed and tofu.
5. IF YOU WERE A ZOO ANIMAL, WHAT WOULD YOU BE? Mmm...I'd rather not be one, but...I guess a Koala?!
6. WHAT DO YOU DO DURING YOUR CHILL TIME? Drink tea, draw, lay down, flip tv channels...
7. THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? A parent of my boyfriend's students.
8. THE FIRST THING YOU THINK ABOUT WHEN YOU SEE THE OPPOSITE SEX? Nothing really. i guess sometimes I think about what he is thinking...
9. AUTO OR MANUAL CAR? Auto.
10. FAVOURITE DAY OF THE YEAR? Christmas!
11. FAVOURITE PLACE? My home.
12. FAVOURITE SPORTS? Tennis, though I suck at it!
13. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Nope.
14. ANY SIBLINGS? One sister who's the oldest, and two brothers who are also older than me.
15. THE COOLEST WAYS TO RELEASE PRESSURE? Cry it all out! Well..maybe it's not the "coolest" way, that's just me.
16. THINGS YOU HATE MOST? Pressure.
17. WHAT IS THE BEST THING ABOUT BEING A GIRL/BOY? Mmm...that would be the fact that I can be sexy both mentally and physically ;)
18. SCARY OR HAPPY MOVIES? Happy or funny movies, always!
19. MY BEST FRIENDS ARE: Ryan, Ariel, Aven, Jackie....etc.
20. CHOCOLATES OR FLOWERS? Flowers, don't like chocolate all that much...
21. WHEN I AM STUCK IN A JAM... I start to watch people, all kinds of people, fun too! :P
22. TEXT OR CALL? Text more than call.
23. IF YOU COULD TURN BACK TIME, YOU WOULD... Study less and have more fun!
24. IN YOUR WALLET, YOU HAVE... All kinds of stuff one needs to put in the wallet?!
25. WHAT'S ON YOUR SCREEN SAVER? Our 3000 pictures from the South East Asia trip!
26. YOUR FAVOURITE SMELLS? Jasmine. Love Jasmine!
27. WHAT IS THE LAST THING YOU THINK OF BEFORE YOU GO TO SLEEP? Did I turn off my cell phone or not.
28. THINGS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT: Love, friends...tissues? hahaha...
29. YOUR FAVOURITE QUOTE? Hun???
30. YOUR FAVOURITE MEAL? The chicken or pork "Don" at a Japanese resturant here called "Open Sesame."
i r i s posted at 7/08/2005 |
Been back to "reality" for almost two weeks. Moved in to our new apartment, and everything seems all set up. I guess I'm ready to "function" in the ordinary world again.
Yesterday I went to the market here, and shopped for our daily food for the first time since we got back to Hualien.
I parked my scooter and started walking through the busy market. I had this funny feeling... 'this is the market i used to know but...everything seems to be unfamiliar this time. And...I'm not a tourist anymore...' I wasn't carrying my big SLR trying to take some "fresh" market shots. I was actually looking and buying food for living.
I love going to the market and buying fresh vegetables and fruits, I love to see what is being sold in the market from day to day.
But, I HATE when I try to ask about the vegetables and bargain for a better price in the market, they (the food sellers) always think I'm an total idiot. I really really hate that.
This is what happened to me...
Me: "Um...Can I have your smallest chicken? I'd like you to clean all the organs out, and cut the feet and the neck off...Oh and the butt must be off, too. Thanks a lot!"
The mother figure saleslady: "Um...what?? are you sure? no organs? no feet or neck??"
Me: "Yes, I'm sure!"
Her: "Ok then, I think you are so cute... I'll put the extras in a little bag for you, and here's our chicken broth for you..Free."
I: "Oh... that's very nice of you, but...mm...ok."
Her: "Do you know how to cook the chicken? Don't forget to put the broth and the chicken in the fridge as soon as you get home, ok?"
Me: "....@%#...thanks, I undersatnd."
Later she thaught me a whole lesson about how to make chicken soup... for 20 minutes.
Oh well. After that I went on to buy some fruits.
Well, guess what? Four peaches cost me about 4 dollars. And, I guess I looked like an idiot then. I don't understand why I am always being treated like that, scammed, and being laughed at while my mom would be treated like a VIP everyday.
So, feeling shitty and scared I walked very very fast out of the market.
That's my relationship with the market in my hometown.